Apr 23, 2018
During this grace filled Easter season as we head toward Pentecost let us pray for a renewal of the Holy Spirit to transform our hearts.
The Apostles in the upper room were transformed from frightened followers to fearless messengers of the ‘Good News” when Christ “breathed” the Holy Spirit upon them. The Holy Spirit reveals that God loves us, as seen in Romans 5.5, “For the love of God has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit whom he has given us.”
Christlife, in the Discovering Christ workshop, reminds us that the Holy Spirit will:
- Give us power to live the Christian life. (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:8)
- Reveal God’s personal love.(Romans 5:5; Galatians 4:6)
- Speak the truth to us. (John 16:13; Matthew 26:28)
- Help us to know God in prayer. (Romans 8:26)
- Bind us together in Christian unity. (Act 2:42, 46-47)
- Empower us to help others to know Jesus. (Acts 1:8)
The times we live in today are described as “post Christian” similar to the time the apostles lived. Are we too living in the upper room as frightened followers of Christ? We are called to “be transformed” as they were by the Holy Spirit to be messengers of the “Good News!”
Matthew Kelly in his book “Rediscover Jesus” reminds us that God always answers a sincere prayer for transformation.
Pray to God to transform you into the person he created you to be so you can live the life he envisions for you.