What are the Lenten themes that jump out at you and speak to your heart? Here are some that may ring your spiritual bell. Embrace all of them or that special one that will prepare you for the joy of Easter.
- Self-Denial and Sacrifice – Sackcloth and ashes are a powerful theme from Ash Wednesday to Good Friday. We imitate Christ’s 40 days of fasting in the wilderness. We can attend the Stations of the Cross. Our “little sacrifices” pale next to the God man who died for our sins to give us eternal life.
- Sorrow for Our Sins – We take stock of where we are on our faith journey regarding our sinfulness and how we have hurt the Lord and distanced ourselves from Him. We seek forgiveness by preparing for confession.
- Service – Alms giving to the poor and needy is an integral part of the sacrifice we are called upon to honor. Be generous with your time and talent and dollars.
- Spiritual Renewal – We have the time to grow closer to Christ in soul changing ways. Consider these: Surrender yourself to His will; Seek Him in the Adoration Chapel; Attend a retreat.
- Scripture Passages – Listen to the scripture passages as they are powerful examples of how to understand and live our faith.
A Blessed Lent to All!