This month provides a myriad of opportunities to grow in holiness. To begin with the whole month is dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary. She believed and then conceived our Lord. Her “fiat” was the greatest act of faith ever and is the perfect role model for us to follow…….always saying yes to God’s will.
October is also “Respect Life Month” and the theme is “St. Joseph, Defender of Life.” Take some time to reflect more deeply on the Gospel of life during October.
Here are the feast days of some of the greatest saints in Church history. Take a serious look at the gifts they offer you to grow in holiness. Google those you want to learn more about.
- October 1 - St. Therese of Lisieux and her ”little way” where she saw God as her Father and we his children. She showed the power of prayer in evangelizing the world. She was a missionary at heart as we should be.
- October 2 - Feast of the Guardian Angels – Your angel enlightens you, guide and protects you especially from spiritual harms.
- October 4 – St. Francis of Assisi, founder of the Franciscan Order. He answered Christ’s request as He hung from the cross in San Damiano church to “rebuild my Church.” Today we can do no less.
- October 5 – St. Faustina who brought us the glorious picture of Jesus, Divine Mercy, asking us to trust in Him. Turn to Him always.
- October 15 – St Teresa of Avila, first of two women to be named Doctor of the Church. The Patron Saint of Spain.
- October16 -St. Margret Mary Alacoque, who gave us Sacred Heart devotion.
Some other October feast days are St. Luke, St. Paul of the Cross, St. Jude, St. Pope John Paul II. All are ”Holy Heroes” we need to admire and emulate as we too work toward becoming saints.