Here are some nuggets of wisdom from a talk given by Fr. Cedric Pisegna. Enjoy!
- In several places in scripture holy men intent on hearing God’s voice looked for it in fire, wind and earthquakes. Amazingly, they heard his whisper like voice in the silence. It is said that silence is God’s language. Speech is of time and silence of eternity.
- There is a lot of noise in life and we need to carve out quiet time to hear that still small voice. Silence helps us to focus or concentrate on doing this. Any place will do…a chapel, a bedroom, a library,…whatever works for you.
- Isaiah tells us that in quietness will be our strength and peace will flow like a river. So just slow down and relax for a few minutes. Take a deep breath and let it out. Get centered! It takes time to develop the ability to build a relationship with God.
- It can be challenging to discern the true voice of God. Remember the prophet Samuel heard his name called 3 times but needed Eli to explain that it was God who was calling him. Samuel returned the Lord’s call with “Speak, Lord, your servant is listening.” Good advice for us.
- God’s voice can come to us through nature, music, TV, statues but scripture is a very powerful source that we can turn to for that “aha moment” where we actually hear him speak specifically to us.
- Make that commitment to keep God present in your life daily by simply saying a heartfelt line like “Lord, I trust in you” or Lord, I love you.” Then listen and remember His command “to be still and know that I am God.” Speak to God in His language which is silence. Remember it is golden!
For more from Fr. Pisegna, C.P. check out his website at https://frcedric.org/default.aspx